Buon Appetito Head Chef Gerry Morrissey describes his cooking style as simple, experimental and comforting. A self-taught professional who learned his craft by working alongside other chefs, Gerry brings an unpretentious enthusiasm to his work in the kitchen. “I love cooking for others, and, of course, the flavors of all the ingredients I can work with.” His favorite ingredients to cook with are fish and beef.
Buon Appetito, 386 Norwich-Westerly Road, North Stonington, 860-535-2333; buonappetitoristorante.com
SCALLOP SHRIMP RISOTTO
1 spear of asparagus (diced)
3 oz. wild mushrooms
6 grape tomatoes
4 oz. fish stock
2 oz. butter
2 oz. olive oil
2 oz. white wine
1. Start with a sauté of olive oil and mushrooms.
2. Add diced asparagus and white wine, sauté until vegetables are tender.
3. Add risotto and fish stock until risotto is al dente.
4. Add parsley, Parmesan, butter and tomatoes at end of cooking and season with salt and pepper.
5. In a separate pan, sear the scallops and shrimp 90 seconds each side and season with salt and pepper.